Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A New Chapter Begins

To this point, this blog has been kind of a historical account of how I became passionate about firefighting. For the past month or two I have seriously been considering making some changes in my life. Big ones!

Seeing as I turnd 40 this year, some people may think this is just a mid-life crisis I am having. I don't think it is. I don't really care what other people think it is, either.

When the bug hit me like a ton of bricks earlier this year, I realized it had never really gone away. I had just locked it up for so long I had forgotten it was there. Once it broke out I realized, I can't bear the thought of ever locking it up again. This passion I have for becoming a firefighter is not going to go away. If it could have, it would have. I believe that God put his passion and desire in my heart for a reason. And it is entirely up to me to do something about it.

One thing I learned by accident this summer is that Tacoma has Firebuff Battalion. They are a volunteer organization that responds to fire department calls to offer canteen/rehab services to firefighters and rescue personnel. THey are part of a larger organization called the International Fire Buff Associates. When I learned about this I decided I had to get more information and that I would like to get involved somehow. Through the Tacoma Fire Department website I made a contact who provided me with a contact to reach this group. I contacted Cat Urbon, the current President of the Tacoma Pierce County Fire Buff Battalion. Cat was really nice to me and gave me all the information I needed through e-mails. I was all set to attend my first meeting in August. Unfortunately, my grammy passed away rather unexpectedly and I had to miss the meeting because I was out of town as a result. Cat was very understanding, as I expected she would be. My only concern was that now I had a whole month to stew over meeting everyone for the first time at the next meeting. You see, although none of my family and friends believe me, I really am shy. I find large groups to be very intimidating, especially if I know very few of the people there. When Cat realized I was anxious about this she arranged for us to meet and have lunch: Cat, her husband Bob, a friend and fellow Battalion member, Deb, and myself. This broke the ice and made things a little easier for me. I had a very enjoyable time with them, chatting about what this is all about and what it entails, how it is funded, how the firefighters truly appreciate it, etc. This just seemed like the next best thing to my original dream to me, so I am gung ho to get involved. Bob was gentle about telling me that first I had to attend three monthly meetings and submit to a background check, and then the members of the Battalion would vote me in or not. I felt a bit deflated, not because I was worried about being put to a vote, but because I want to start NOW! Patience! Patience is a virtue. Okay, whatever! Well, the wait for my first meeting is almost over, and I have so far survived! This saturday it will happen!

Continuing with the rest of the story:

During the last two months I have also considered getting out of child care and becoming a 911 operator. I really wanted to look into becoming a fire department dispatcher, but at least in our neck of the woods, that position is entirely filled by seasoned fire fighters! Oops. I can't qualify for that one. Okay, the next best thing would be 911 operator. Of course that is run through law enforcement, not the fire department. Still, I think I would do well at it. My friends and acquaintances agreed and encouraged me to go for it. Except my friend Addie who laughed and said to me, "You can't do that! You'd LAUGH at them!" (referring to stupid calls) Well, I probably would (INWARDLY) but never in the moment!

As I determined that to be my goal, I started thinking more about it. I knew in my heart it was kind of like receiving an honorable mention when you've done your very best work and had hoped for the amazing super duper top prize. I'd probably be great at it. I might really ejoy knowing that I made a difference. But it wasn't going to satisfy that need in me to be hands on, in the field, helping people and making a difference.

Recently I had "met" (and I use that term loosely)several fire fighters on-line through various avenues. A fan fiction writing site and Firefighter Nation were two of them. Firefighter Nation is a social network site intended for use by firefighters and rescue personnel. A lengthy application must be filled out to join. I was allowed to join, probably because my brother is already a firefighter but as a non firefighter my membership is subject to review and removal. I can live with that. The last thing I want ist be thought of as a pain in the a** by the very people I admire most. I also have served a firefighter's family in my job as a child care site manager for several years now. His daughter is so cute. She even had her hair cut to be like mine! These firefighters that I have chatted with have been incredibly encouraging and nice. One recommended I pursue an EMT certification. The thought had already crossed my mind. It was kind of like confirmation to me over the next week or so as I heard it a few more times from different sources.

SO.....

I have officially decided to climb the ladder to live my dream. This is my mission. I intend to pursue that EMT certification. My blog will now have a dual purpose. I will continue to use it to tell stories of my passion, or just to yack about anything I feel like. I will title those posts "flashpointz -(fill in the blank)". The other purpose will be to document my climb up that ladder to reach my dreams. I will title those blogs "Report from Ladder Company 40 -(fill in the blank)" I chose this because a) this is a going to be an uphill climb. b) I am starting this adventure at 40 years old and c) the name is a take off on a great book written by a firefighter, Dennis Smith, titled "Report from Engine Company 82."
(If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it!)

My hope is that I will have many supporters subscribe to this blog to see my story. They will be able to see my struggles and my successes, my ramblings and my rantings. I hope that they will use this information to help me help myself live my dream. I need encouragement. LOTS of it. I need people who will hold me accountable. If I am supposed to drop 50 pounds, (and I am!) then I want someone to know what I am doing to reach that goal. To cheer me on or to gently admonish me when I screw up. Don't let me off easily my friends. I need you now more than ever. That is YOUR mission, should you choose to accept it.

I started my climb today. Today is day one. It is too late to document it tonight but tomorrow I will post for day one and day two. Thanks for reading and stay safe!
-Hotflash

No comments:

Post a Comment